She is beautiful Mary! I love those ultrasound pictures. I was just looking at all of Lucy's and it's crazy to think that little tiny baby is now an almost 3 year old!!! Oh how the time flies...
Today is a very important day. It is November 4, 2008 and it is Election Day. This morning your grandmother got up at 5:20 a.m. to get ready for work before heading to the polling place to vote for our new President.
Our polling places in Iowa open at 7:00 a.m. I thought by getting there an hour early I would be able to be first in line to cast my vote then make it to work in time. Lucy, when I got to Abraham Lincoln High School I was the 7th person in line. The autumn air was crisp but unseansonably warm letting me stand there without even a jacket. As I sipped my coffee I joined in the conversatons around me. Midwestern people are very easy to visit with and I am never at a loss for words so the hour went quickly. We watched the volunteers scurry around setting up the voting area and preparing their stations for the day. Sometimes one or another would look up and smile at us standing outside waiting for our time to vote.
In less than 15 minutes I had marked my ballot carefully indicating my choices and turned to slide it into the automatic counting machine.
The anticipation today is hard to explain. The best comparison I can give is the excitement and anticipation your parents experience every day waiting for your arrival. The campaign at times as seemed far to long, the emotions have swung wildly from one end of the spectrum to the other, the unknown factor of who will be the President is much like waiting to see your beautiful little face. I know your coming and I am counting the minutes until you are here.
Voting is a right and a privilege. I am happy to be able to say I have never missed an election since my first time. The thrill of knowing I am one person but part of a whole bigger than any one person makes me shiver.
The candidates this year are both good men. Each has their own strengths to bring to the job. As one person said today, tomorrow we are all on the same team following the newly elected President, working hard to make America a wonderful place to be.
That is one of the reasons I vote --- it is not necessarily just for me, it is my footprint I can leave for you on the path of life. I want the world you will come to know to be the safe haven I have known.
Regardless who wins tonight, this election will be something you will be taught in school for years to come. We will either have our first African American President or our first woman Vice President of the United States of America.
Grow strong during these next months knowing that your Grandmother is counting on you to carry on family tradition of being a politically minded female.
I will love you always and forever, Lucy - GrandE xxxoooxxx
Wonderful news! Barrack Obama was elected President of the United States of America last night. He is commited to strenthening all of us into a united nation. It is a proud and happy time. I was very happy when Iowa went blue last night. I hope by the time you are old enough to understand the process, there will be no need to be either red or blue. I think Obama will lead us to that.
Rest well and grow strong. I can't wait for the time when you and I can scuffle through the fallen leaves and marvel at the beautiful fall colors. Today on the drive to work, it looked like God spill His paintbox over the trees the reds, golds, and oranges were so vivid.
A ladybug made it into my office yesterday. It must have ridden in on someone's shoulder and decided to crawl into my room. Ladybugs are a symbol of good luck so I carefully scooped it up and took it back outside. When you are old enough we will look for ladybugs so you can watch with wonder as it scoots across your little hand and fingers. Unlike houseflies, ladybugs make me smile.
Welcome to our blog! I've been recording our journey from the fifth week of pregnancy. We love new followers, so please take a minute and subscribe to this blog!
5 comments:
What a gorgeous little girl! Looks just like her parents!
She is beautiful Mary! I love those ultrasound pictures. I was just looking at all of Lucy's and it's crazy to think that little tiny baby is now an almost 3 year old!!! Oh how the time flies...
Congrats!!!! So exciting! Have you done the nursery yet?
Dear Lucy,
Today is a very important day. It is November 4, 2008 and it is Election Day. This morning your grandmother got up at 5:20 a.m. to get ready for work before heading to the polling place to vote for our new President.
Our polling places in Iowa open at 7:00 a.m. I thought by getting there an hour early I would be able to be first in line to cast my vote then make it to work in time. Lucy, when I got to Abraham Lincoln High School I was the 7th person in line. The autumn air was crisp but unseansonably warm letting me stand there without even a jacket. As I sipped my coffee I joined in the conversatons around me. Midwestern people are very easy to visit with and I am never at a loss for words so the hour went quickly. We watched the volunteers scurry around setting up the voting area and preparing their stations for the day. Sometimes one or another would look up and smile at us standing outside waiting for our time to vote.
In less than 15 minutes I had marked my ballot carefully indicating my choices and turned to slide it into the automatic counting machine.
The anticipation today is hard to explain. The best comparison I can give is the excitement and anticipation your parents experience every day waiting for your arrival. The campaign at times as seemed far to long, the emotions have swung wildly from one end of the spectrum to the other, the unknown factor of who will be the President is much like waiting to see your beautiful little face. I know your coming and I am counting the minutes until you are here.
Voting is a right and a privilege. I am happy to be able to say I have never missed an election since my first time. The thrill of knowing I am one person but part of a whole bigger than any one person makes me shiver.
The candidates this year are both good men. Each has their own strengths to bring to the job. As one person said today, tomorrow we are all on the same team following the newly elected President, working hard to make America a wonderful place to be.
That is one of the reasons I vote --- it is not necessarily just for me, it is my footprint I can leave for you on the path of life. I want the world you will come to know to be the safe haven I have known.
Regardless who wins tonight, this election will be something you will be taught in school for years to come. We will either have our first African American President or our first woman Vice President of the United States of America.
Grow strong during these next months knowing that your Grandmother is counting on you to carry on family tradition of being a politically minded female.
I will love you always and forever, Lucy - GrandE xxxoooxxx
Dear Lucy,
Wonderful news! Barrack Obama was elected President of the United States of America last night. He is commited to strenthening all of us into a united nation. It is a proud and happy time. I was very happy when Iowa went blue last night. I hope by the time you are old enough to understand the process, there will be no need to be either red or blue. I think Obama will lead us to that.
Rest well and grow strong. I can't wait for the time when you and I can scuffle through the fallen leaves and marvel at the beautiful fall colors. Today on the drive to work, it looked like God spill His paintbox over the trees the reds, golds, and oranges were so vivid.
A ladybug made it into my office yesterday. It must have ridden in on someone's shoulder and decided to crawl into my room. Ladybugs are a symbol of good luck so I carefully scooped it up and took it back outside. When you are old enough we will look for ladybugs so you can watch with wonder as it scoots across your little hand and fingers. Unlike houseflies, ladybugs make me smile.
I will love you always and forever - GrandE
Post a Comment