Thursday, December 11, 2008

epidural or natural?

The question on whether or not to have an epidural has been on my mind for the last couple of weeks. Here are some pros and cons I have thought of: (these are all based on what I have read, so if there are any moms out there reading this, and think I've completely lost it - feel free to comment.)

Having a natural childbirth Pros:
-being able to experience EVERYTHING
-Lu not being "sluggish" upon delivery
-labor possibly not being slowed down by drugs

Having a natural childbirth Cons:
-having to experience EVERYTHING
-not being able to enjoy her birth because of the pain
-being a complete witch during the process (because of the pain)

Having an Epidural Pros:
-being relaxed enough to enjoy the experience
-being able to rest between contractions
-hello! pain free!!!

Having an Epidural Cons:
-Lu being drugged when she's born
-higher chance of delivery resulting in a c-section
-possible long term side effects (back pain, headaches, etc..)

I guess I won't know the what kind of pain I'm truly in for until I get there. I've been asked about my delivery choice by a couple people, and it just got me thinking about it.

Any Moms out there - How did you do it? Would you change it if you could?

4 comments:

D'Lynn said...

Oh Mary. I love when you ask for advice.

After four children, I do have some thoughts on the topic of natural childbirth.

First, let me tell you that unless you have a very easy labor and delivery, you WILL be surprised at how much contractions hurt. After an epidural, the only way you know you are having a contraction is that the monitor tells you. Remember, even in the days before there were epidurals, women found ways to numb the pain out of deperation.

One question you could ask yourself is, "Do I get novacaine to numb my mouth when I get dental work done." If the answer is yes, you are probably a good candidate for drugs when pushing a 7 lb person out of a hole no bigger than a lime.

I know you are concerned about Lucy. I understand. But trust me when I say that all four of my kids were crying, alert, and scored fine on their APGAR tests after being delivered while their mother experienced an epidural.

Some people get concerned that they will have to push longer because they can't feel the contractions due to the epidural. Each labor and delivery is different, but I never pushed any of my kids more than five times.

I think a good approach might be this. "I am going to go as long as I can before I get an epidural." Just don't wait too long to ask for your epidural...keep an open mind.

dinslage said...

Thanks, D'Lynn. There are so many options to weigh!!!! I read about vaccinating her this weekend, and how some choose to wait until later in childhood to do it..and some do it right after birth. I just wish I had all the answers already!!!!

Mrs. Green said...

Never pass up good drugs! LOL Just a shout out from a NON MOM!!!

Anonymous said...

take the epidural Mar.
-Beth