Saturday, July 11, 2009

Question for the Veterans..

Lucy is starting to get mobile now. While making breakfast this morning, I laid her on the floor (on a blanket with toys and such) and within a few short minutes she had turned herself 90 degrees. I think she was trying to see the television because Veggie Tales was on this morning. :) She is also rolling onto her side, rolling from belly to back, and has very good head/neck control.

My question is this: Did you put your children on their tummies for naps/bedtime?

I am TERRIFIED of SIDS. The thought of it makes me literally go into a panic. We fell asleep on the couch together today, and she was laying on her stomach on my chest. We slept in a deep sleep for about two hours. Maybe the reason why she isn't sleeping well at night is because she isn't comfortable on her back?? Maybe I should try to put her on her stomach?

We have her appointment on the 22nd. I'll ask the pediatrician then, but I just wanted to get some input from all of you! :)

4 comments:

Alise said...

I put My Lucy on her tummy to sleep all the time at the same age that your Lucy is now. As you said, she didn't sleep as deeply, which is why they say to put them on their backs. But I waited until she could roll from back to belly and vice versa. If you want extra reassurance, you can invest in an Angelcare baby monitor. An alarm goes off if baby stops breathing. Good luck with your decision!

Liz said...

As soon as Sophie could roll over, she would roll over to sleep on her tummy anyway. But I never put her on her stomach to start.

Linda Anderson said...

All 4 of my children were put on their stomachs for sleep. When they were old enough, they rolled over when they felt like it. If they spit up they only had a sticky cheeck. Movement didn't startle them like it does on their back. Common sense and baby/parent preference works well. Every generation of doctors has a different opinion. I have four grown children who lived through the infant stages!

dinslage said...

After nearly four months of sleep deprivation, common sense tends to fly out the window! :)